Books on My Nightstand

  • Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
  • Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty

26 January 2010

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

I'm still trying to figure out the settings on my blog. I want to be able to write about the books I'm currently reading. Reading is one of my passions. I always have at least one book that I'm reading. My job affords me the liberty of reading on the job. My students love to hear about the books I'm reading, what I like and don't like. One of my friends loaned me The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrow. I am loving it! I saw it reviewed in a couple of publications (Real Simple and Book Page). It's a collection of fictional letters mostly between an author, her best friend and her publisher. Juliet, the main character, is searching for a new idea for a book when she receives a letter from one of the Society members who has stumbled across an old book that once belonged to Juliet. Juliet begins a correspondence with some of the Society members as she learns more about it's background. The novel is set post WWII and tells the story of the people of Guernsey of the Channel Islands and how they survived the german occupation. The novel is so well written you almost forget that you're not Juliet. I laugh outloud and cry all in one letter! I highly recommend this NY Times bestseller!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment